It is common knowledge that too much screen time can be bad for you. However, does that mean that screen time is never good for you? No. Just like everything else in life, doing something in moderation is fine. In fact, if you pose the question, is screen time good for you – you may be surprised that the answer is sometimes yes.
When asking this question, you should focus not just on using a screen but on the activity you are engaged in. If you are interested in making screen time a healthier and more beneficial time for you, all you need to do is change the focus of this time. For instance, you can use your screen time to create new habits, plan and reach goals or improve your overall health and wellbeing.
Using Screen Time To Create New Habits
At Better You, we understand that everyone uses screen time. Many people participate in screen time at work or school throughout the day, then go home and have screen time. Popular at-home activities of screen time include playing video games, streaming video, participating in social media, and reading the news online or surfing the web.
There is nothing wrong with relaxing with those forms of screen time. However, when you ask yourself the question, is screen time good for you it may be time to expand your horizons.
There are many new habits you can begin during screen time. Here are some ideas to help you become happier, healthier, and more productive.
- Focus on One Thing at a Time: Whether you are using screen time for pleasure or to improve your life, one thing probably needs to change. You may need to relearn how to focus on the task at hand. Do you listen to podcasts while you work? Have you ever browsed the news or social media while watching TV? Most people try to do multiple things simultaneously, often involving screens. If you want to enjoy your activities more and be more productive overall, learn to only focus on one thing at a time.
- Practice Mindfulness: Mindfulness is the act of giving all your attention to what you are doing. For instance, when eating a meal, you focus entirely on the taste, flavors, smells, and textures. You do not eat while doing other things as you are mindful of the world around you. Start doing this during screen time. Focus on what you are doing or reading. Suppose you are reading or listening to something. In that case, you can comprehend and recall much more if you practice mindfulness while doing it.
- Be Creative: Our final way to use screen time to create new habits is to be creative. Write a blog, make a video, design a t-shirt, or create a vlog. It does not matter what you do, but pick something creative to do with your screen time to work your brain and unleash your creative side.
Using Screen Time For Goals
Everyone has goals in life. These goals could cover anything. Maybe you want to exercise more, lose weight, work less, spend time with loved ones, get an education or open a business. It doesn’t matter what your goals are. What is important is that you have plans representing something you really want.
Screen time and the use of technology can help you with most things. This is especially true for setting goals, tracking them, and meeting them. You can easily use apps, technology, and various programs to track your progress, update your goals as things change, and create new goals.
This is a wonderful way to use screentime to your advantage and to find a way to make the amount of screentime you use regularly become a healthy part of your life.
Using Screen Time To Improve Health and Wellbeing
There are ways to use your screentime to become a healthier person. Sometimes it is as simple as reminding yourself to take breaks and walk away. Of course, you can also use this time to find a way to exercise more in your life, improve your sleep habits, create a better diet or just take more time for yourself and your personal needs. Here are a few ideas.
- Take Breaks: When people are at work, they take frequent breaks. Some of these breaks are scheduled, for instance, one or two short breaks and a meal break. Then people take other breaks, they go to the bathroom, the water cooler, or they socialize with others. Screen time at home should be the same. Your brain will be thankful if you take multiple breaks during the evening and weekend. If you have a problem with taking breaks on your own, you can always set alarms and timers on your phone, tablet, or computer to remind yourself to stand up and walk away for a few minutes.
- Design an Exercise Program: Want to use screen time to become healthier? Why not use screen time to design and implement an exercise program when you are away from the screens? You can decide how often to exercise, what exercises to do, and devise ways to remind yourself to follow this program and reward yourself when you do.
Although excessive screen time can be unhealthy and create a sedentary lifestyle, when appropriately used, screen time can actually be good for you. Take a moment to think about how you use screen time daily or weekly. Now, are there are places you can make changes to make screen time more productive? You should focus on how to make your screen time contribute to your health, wellness, goal setting, or new habit creation. Even a small change can affect your overall happiness and productivity levels. Start small, but start today.