Would you like to get scholarships to attend college in the United States? The United States is the country with the best and most prestigious universities in the world, hence:
Everyone wants to study in the USA because it has the highest number of total students (18.99 million) and international students (914,905). But they are one of the most expensive universities in the world. The average cost of a university is around $50,000 per year.
But there is good news: despite the high tuition fees, hundreds of academic and sports scholarships are offered in the United States, making costs easier for students.
This guide will tell you about the three main types of scholarships in the US, the requirements to study in the United States, and how to get them.
What Are The Types of Scholarships?
There are 3 types of college scholarships to study in the United States:
- Sports Scholarships: Scholarships awarded to students with a high athletic level.
- Academic Scholarships: Scholarships awarded to students with a high academic level.
- International Scholarships: Scholarships awarded to international students from different countries.
1. Sports Scholarships
These university scholarships in the United States are awarded to student-athletes who are part of the University’s varsity team.
These scholarships are different for each individual, and they may cover a percentage of the university expenses or may be complete in some cases.
The coaches of each university team give these USA scholarships, and they decide the percentage they give to each player. Depending on the university league and the sport, there are a series of restrictions that coaches have to adapt to, with a maximum number of sports scholarships they can give per team.
2. Academic Scholarships
As you will see in the guide, sports scholarships depend a lot on the organizations and divisions in which the college is located. With academic scholarships, the location does not matter. It is given regardless of organization, division, or size.
These scholarships to study in the US can range between $10,000 and $30,000, and academic scholarships are awarded to students who excel brilliantly.
However, to obtain these scholarships, a series of requirements must be met, which include:
- Finish High School (or be in the process of finishing it) with a GPA = +3.5 (in your last three years of high school).
- Take the SAT and TOEFL exams. Minimum score on the SAT = +1300. Minimum mark in the TOEFL = +80.
- Take the GMAT exam and the GRE (only in the case of masters in the United States)
- Carry out volunteer activities at an NGO or carry out community service activities.
- Carry out extracurricular activities like playing an instrument, math championships, chess, etc
3. International Scholarships
Like academic scholarships, it does not matter what organization the college is in.
Many US universities seek to internationalize their campuses, so through these scholarships, they attract many international students, which gives them greater prestige.
These college scholarships can cover 50% of the total, and you will need to meet some minimum requirements.
- Finish High School (or be in the process of finishing it).
- Take the SAT and TOEFL exams.
- Minimum SAT exam grade = +950
- Minimum TOEFL exam score = 60
In many cases, due to the high competition for sports scholarships, many athletes work hard to get good grades on the SAT and TOEFL exams. It means that even if they do not get full sports scholarships, they can still choose to finance their studies at 100% by combining their sports scholarship with academic or international scholarships.
How To Get Scholarships?
Applying for these scholarships can be challenging and usually requires work.
First, sports scholarships are more peculiar and difficult to find. On the other hand, academic and international scholarships are easier to find and apply for, but you must follow these steps:
1) Know Your Possibilities and The Best Scholarships For You
The competition and requirements to study in the United States are very high. So, before spending valuable time looking and applying for scholarships, you must ensure that you have all it takes as regards the requirements and qualifications.
2) Find Your Scholarship To Study In The USA
Many websites can help to find academic and international scholarships. The search feature and filter options according to your interests and needs make the work easier.
3) Go To The Website Of Your Preferred College
Once you have found a scholarship or different options, you should visit the particular university website to find more information. Thanks to the search engines mentioned above, you can easily do this by clicking on the scholarships that interest you.
4) Apply For Your Scholarship To Study In The US
Once you visit the college website that offers the scholarship you are interested in, you must follow the steps indicated on the website, fill out its form, and apply. Remember that on many occasions, to apply for these scholarships, you must also apply for admission to the college.
Do you have any questions about scholarships to study in the United States? We hope you find this information useful.